Tuesday 29 September 2009

Beep Beep Arghhh.

Alright. I am fed up. If I get one more f$%!ing text message ad courtesy of Batelco I will kill something. I never subscribed to anything. I never gave them permission to include my number in a database of numbers that they could sell to clients for SMS broadcasts. I have no recourse, no option to opt out of the 'service'. So I am stuck.

I don't care about the latest SALE at CENTERPOINT. I don't even know what Centerpoint is. I don't want to order Franks a lot. I have no desire to give BisB my money, even if they claim I can win loads of prizes. I will never, ever go to the SkyW@lk cafe in the Marriot apartments, so the two identical back-to-back messages they sent me were a double waste. This is harassment.

And then I get messages in Arabic. My phone doesn't support Arabic, so the messages read

shoe mart

oooooooo oooo oooooo oooooo

What utter bullshit. Why would anyone want a text message from shoe mart? I don't care how lonely someone is... getting a text message from shoe mart is just pathetic, plain and simple.

And who the hell wants not one, but three text messages from RAMEZ? Surely this is harassment. I'm going to start sending Batelco some harassing emails. I'd text them back, but I don't have their mobile number. I don't care how self-defeating that'd be... if I could annoy a handful of Batelco management with messages like -

'SPECIAL OFFER HAPPY TIME. FREE ONE FOR TWO, only TODAY. SEEF!!!!'

it'd be worth it. Totally worth it. Some Batelconians claim there is no way that our beloved Telecom would ever do something like sell broadcast messages to random clients. But that's a lie. Who the hell has ever given RAMEZ their phone number? And other Batelconians, some of whom were directly involved in the whole broadcast message thing, have made it clear that they'd sell anyone's number to anything. If a sheep wanted to tell the world that it was feeling slightly horny, Batelco would facilitate as long as it had some cash.

I'd ask the TRA to help me but I have a thing against flushing my time and energy down the toilet. I'd call Batelco and demand a free text message for each and every ad that they enable the godforsaken advertiser to annoy me with, but can you imagine how frustrating that conversation with customer care would be?

Fuck this. I just got another message, from Ramez. While I've been typing this rant I've received FOUR text messages from RAMEZ. No lie. Not one, not two, not three... but four. And they're all the same.

They discovered a new medium with which to harass the public, and true to form, they've abused it to the point that it is no longer even slightly effective. Just like they did with billboards. Just like they did with those goddamn streetlight ads. I remember, not long ago, the Ministry of Transport and the Municipality were arguing over who was entitled to the revenue from those lamppost ads. One Ministry took them down and the other put them back up. Maybe if I call the Ministry and tell them that Batelco is taking all the revenue from broadcast messages.... Telecoms fall under the domain of the Ministry of Transport, or at least they once did, for some reason I'll never quite understand... That might be fun. Although, has anyone ever managed to get a Ministry to answer a phone. I've heard stories, from the days of old... but I think they're lies.

I don't care if they send me four thousand messages. I'm not going anywhere near Ramez. Even if I really, really wanted to wander around a dirty warehouse full of reject Chinese merchandise, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Please, boycott every business that sends you stupid, annoying, harassing messages. And then, maybe, someone will learn something. It's doubtful. There's far, far too much stupidity going around these days, but it cant hurt to try.


14 comments:

  1. Dude - reading you IS a therapy. It seems one is reading his toughts and by some kind of miracle they have been assembled on an elegant, comical and also cynical manner.
    A couple of spots of what sucks here was badly needed even to preserve (and potencially improve) the many great and nice stuff that exists still.

    Yes, those sms sucks as well as many things of daily life, some you mention already like closing schools without proper justification or the forbiding frenesy. Also stuff like consistent and obvious lack of planning, increasing traffic jams or living on an island whithout a single decent beach (small exception for the mighty Ritzies).. it sucks!

    Please keep writting Dude - apart the therapy it already does something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about this text message that I received twice:

    Jamyalslmia

    97.5% بها تمتع
    2.5% بها تصدق
    الفائدة ١٠ اضعاف

    د.-----

    Should I boycott Zakat!!!!

    I am surprised just like you, but with the new messages. Next time I will get a message to ask me to pray, to stop listening to music or God knows what else!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the above post. Do not stop writing. This WILL inspire others to do the same, and, we can fight the suck in Bahrain.

    Let's just hope Bahrain doesn't become one of those ultra low GDP countries with extreme HIV problems in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today it was Batelco itself asking ME to call to INDIA with nice rates apparently. Sh..t. I don't know anybody in India - why I am being SMMessed on this? And when people is roaming all this crap is charged also.. big time! Definitly something MUST be done to stop it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, to a certain extent, I can understand spam (not that I endorse it in any way) because of the monetization prospectabilities and such. What really gets me is those spam messages from Batelco that say (for example):

    "This week only buy BD 7.640 sim sim credit and get a free cat head"

    The comedic brilliance of the above is that Batelco, of all people, should know that I'm not a fucking SIM SIM CUSTOMER!

    Seriously, how complicated is it to send it to SIM SIM CUSTOMERS ONLY!

    God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some of us here at samboosa.net have served time in Batelco for bad behavior and we can confirm that Batelco does not hand out numbers to people but there is ofcourse the telephone directory which states your number for all to see. Not to mention companies that harvest and sell numbers for al living.

    However, at samboosa.net we also believe that Batelco mobile products and marketing people should be lined up against the wall for all the messages they send regarding their own services.

    FYI, according the TRA rules, if you contact one spam sender and ask to be removed, they must remove you. E.g. you would have to call Ramez and tell them to stop sending you that sh*t.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting.
    it is really helpful to all.


    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really wonderful post. this blog is awesome.
    Posts with more information will be great.

    Webroyalty

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH!! BAHRAIN SUCKS LIKE SHIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if BAHRAIN SUCKS... Just LEAVE THIS ISLAND AND GO BACK TO THE JUNGLE WHERE YOU BELONG GUYS...! LOL...All of u has lots of complaints..Instead doing this shitty comments here.. Why don't u try to fix all of ur problems in your personal life..! Like..if u are ugly...tyr to be pretty...if u are fat..try not to eat more..have a diet...if u act like an idiot...LEARN HOW TO BE NICE! Most of u guys are staying and living in this Island...where u all are working...If u can't live in this kind of country...Well..THAT IS ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS!!! God Bless you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. now i don't agree that bahrain sucks in general. but i do agree on the whole txt msg thing. zain is no better, at times of election it has gotten realllllly badddd, remember? i wait for an important -life & death important- msg, i hear the phone rings, i eagerly pick it up, it almost falls out of my hand and i get this
    "inner beauty blah blah blah,
    outer beauty even more blah"
    i am SICK of it. there has to be someway to stop this! and someone (threatening voice) WILL PAY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LAND OF THE BRAINDEAD! FUCK BAHRAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. dude..my thoughts exactly..i've been sending feed after feed of this to the gdn...yet they never seem to publish it!! maybe batelco are sponsoring them too!! i dunno.. there are so many bad services here...
    i know this is completely out of context but its worth mentioning..last week i was calling the airport to find out about flight timings..every time (and i recall 7 times) i called, they just disconnected and note: "i kid you not" they connected me to another customer who was asking about flight timings as well..this happened each time i called... you see the the freakin pattern here..thnx for the post man!! nice one

    ReplyDelete